Translate

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Skeletons


source

As the sun sets
I watch on as the loud orange colors fill the sky
The southern breeze hits icy against my skin
My shirt is soaked
I wipe the beads of sweat from my forehead

My palms are blistered
I stretch for a moment
Flexing my arms
Catching my breath.

He asks me if I am tired
I nod in approval
We switch
Tossing him the shovel
He takes my place in the pit
Tossing aside dirt and rubble
Digging away at its base
Carving away at its insides

I take notice of my dusty boot
Then my blood stained trouser 
I scratch a match
Cup my hands
And set light my cigarette
Inhaling deeply
The toxins of my crime
The toxins of my sin
Reminiscing.

He calls to me
Tells me it’s ready
Perfect width and depth
Ironically a little under six feet.
Without a word
We cradle him
His blood still fresh seeps through the blanket
Staggering by his weight
Until we toss him
To the final place he will lay

We stood there
In the silence of the eventide
Both eying the shovel nearby
Both apprehensive
We already knew what was next
Because three can only keep a secret,
If two of them are dead.


Olsfred James 2013©


No comments:

Post a Comment