Translate

Monday 29 December 2014

Extract pt2


I’m embarrassed
She blushes
Yet we both smile.
The awkwardness of the outcome
Does well to dispel my failed attempt at a kiss
Yet does nothing to comfort the throbbing of our foreheads where they collided.
The sunlight rests softly against her delicate skin
Her gentle smile mirrors the beauty of our day.
We had walked some ways off
Unexpectedly yet knowingly “away” from earshot and disturbance.
Making our way to a rundown jetti
The surroundings reminded me of a scene from the Blue Lagoon.
The entrance was encased by the lush island life
The harsh squawking of seagulls could be heard just up the coastline.
Coconut trees dangling overhead shaded us from the afternoon sun.
I could stay right here and get lost in this moment with her.
She dared me to walk out to the water then unto the jetti
I did not plan on getting wet but the eagerness in her eyes stoked my spontaneity.
I shuddered from the cool water rushing at my feet but that did not faze me
A few steps out I thwacked over hanging trees and vines from my way
Then there it was - I stumbled a bit but managed to climb atop the wooden structure
After ensuring my seat was properly supported I called out to her
Who had already begun her decent into the water.
Unlike me, she dived right into the shallow sea
Fully soaked and wore an even brighter smile on her face
She propped herself next to me
I drooled at her carefree attitude.
Maybe it was a trance created by the day
The beauty of nature and the girl before me
But I had too; the moment she looked into my eyes I had too
In a split second I had imagined caressing her skin
Trailing my fingers through her hair
Tasting her lips as her lips tasted mine
But maybe I did not think it through properly
By the time I knew it we had already bumped heads
And the romance novel had been wiped from memory
Now all that was left was a throbbing pain and a bruised ego.
She hadn't mind though
Didn't seem fazed by the pain nor by my unwarranted attempt
She only smiled
Then giggled
Threw her head back and soaked in the day
I was in awe and lost in a gaze as I wanted her from my perch.
“Can I tell you a secret?”
My ears perk up. Taken aback by her willingness to share
A secret.
One of those events, ideas or thoughts that no one else knows
These confidential matters only known by the initiated few
“Su... Sure…”
I awaited the weight of what she was about to share
“Well… I hate volleyball”
I exhaled a sigh of relief. Not as heavy a weight as I feared.
“Why though? You seem to be really good at it.”
For a moment she paused. As if a quick answer would lead to a half truth
Something said without much thought and you reluctantly go along with it
Then with a bewildered expression she responds…
“Honestly… I don’t know."
This girl before me... This girl, Brianne... This girl was some kind of special.


Olsfred James 2014©


No comments:

Post a Comment