Translate

Saturday 19 May 2012

Guilty


 
Desperately I scamper to latch the remaining open windows.
Their arrival was eminent.

Torches cast countless shadows dancing on the walls.
The townspeople who had heard of my alleged crime made their way to my retreat.
Bats, pitchforks, rifles and ropes seemed as if they were extensions of their beings.

Angry chants could have been heard for miles and echoed through the hall ways.
“Open the door” they say, “You're dead” they screamed pounding and thrashing against the outside walls. 
The lantern rattled and the cabinet doors sporadically clattered from the vibration.
Cowering, I sought safety hastily on hands and feet within the farthest chamber.

My heart raced, my hands trembled. I had not known I was bleeding until now.
The thick red pool reminded me of when I held her in my arms. I loved her and he knew it.
Yet, rather than killing me, rather than ending my suffering, he blamed me.
Framed me. Handed me over to them.

I entered the room only on the account of the gunshots
A classic tale of wrong time, wrong place.
A mistake, my mistake - to his advantage this was used.
I should have done more that night.
Then and only then I could have – would have – accepted this fate.

Now there is a cold embrace from the shackles of my confinement
As the nostalgia of a night long since purged from memory returns
Until tonight I thought of only escape.
Until tonight I thought of only revenge.

I had not been given a chance to plead my innocence.
It was clear by the irascible mob the time for discussion had already passed.
Long before I fled my sentence had already been decided.
His authority in this small town would have shadowed any verdict.

There was no black or white to this truth only gray and what was done, was done.
I was trapped; either I walk out to the imminent danger or stay within these walls.
There was no getaway, after all this time, all this trouble
I sat there in a pool of my own blood slowly bleeding, slowly drifting
As the poison from the thick black smoke now seeping through the door plagues my lungs.



No comments:

Post a Comment